Love working with children? Then this project would prove most rewarding for you! Volunteer in India, and have the opportunity to help the orphans and homeless children of the majestic country.
The difference between the rich and the poor in India is so vast that the extremely underprivileged cannot even afford to raise their children adequately.
As a result, many of the children end up living in orphanages. The orphanages are doing a noble deed of providing them with shelter, food, clothes and an education, but they are often in shortage of staff.
As a volunteer, you’ll be helping the children in tuition, because the schools often lack trained teachers. Besides educational support, volunteers can also facilitate extracurricular activities and bring about a positive and fresh energy within the orphanages.
Your care and support will motivate the orphans to believe that there is a better future out there for them, and work towards it. Experience the unique Indian culture while putting a smile on the faces of the children!
As a volunteer in India in the orphanage program, you will help the children with their day-to-day activities. You’ll play a part in building their confidence, developing life skills and reinstating their hope in life. Depending on your individual interests and skills, and on the needs of the local staff, your daily activities involve, but are not limited to:
- Teaching English and other subjects
- Helping with homework
- Helping the kids to get ready for school
- Organizing extracurricular activities such as games, singing and teaching songs, art, playing music, etc.
- Helping the children to learn the traditional Khmer dance or teach a dance from your own country
- Helping the children with personal hygiene
- Reinforcing life skills such as teaching them to clean their rooms and prepare daily meals
- Teach children to plant and care for fruits and vegetables in the garden
- Improving the center facilities and building (painting, renovating, etc.)
- Developing fruit and vegetable cultivation
- Improving hygiene and basic medical care
- Organizing and chaperoning educational tours
- Strengthening the center organizational capacity and fundraising skills
How You Can Make a Difference
The ways a child becomes an orphan in India are depressing and unfortunate. Extreme poverty and social discrimination are the main reasons why families in India would drop their children at orphanages.
These orphanages are doing a righteous job at caring and providing for the children, but the staff is often heavily stretched. Your role as a volunteer in India would lighten the load for these orphanages and allow more children to be reached out to. You will also provide love, affection and the proper are that all children are entitled to.
You will also undoubtedly inject a fresh and positive energy to the orphanages, showing the children that there is a better life ahead of them.
Skills and Qualifications
There are no specific qualifications needed to volunteer in the Orphanage program in India. However, volunteers are expected to be flexible and patient, as well as have much passion and love for children.
Volunteers are also expected to have a basic knowledge of English in order to communicate with the project staff and the local people. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old and they must respect the rules and regulations of the center, be resourceful, and must not hesitate to become involved in different activities.
This project is located in Delhi and Jaipur, which are incredibly colorful, thriving and bustling cities steeped in rich history and culture.
As a historical capital city of India, Delhi contains major Indian tourist attractions the like Red Fort, Lotus Temple, Qutab Minar, Lodhi Gardens, etc. Delhi contains a diverse assortment of local markets, restaurants, internet cafés, nightclubs, shopping centers and cultural heritage sites to experience.
There are numerous chances for volunteers to explore Delhi with their free time and options abound. Taxis/auto rickshaws are affordable transportation options and tours can be arranged to Agra and Jaipur as well as other rural locations.
Renowned as the Pink City of India, the royal capital of Rajasthan, Jaipur was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh in 1727 AD. The ancient forts and palaces attract thousands of travelers from all over India and the world. While in Rajasthan, you can go for a camel ride and a jeep safari to explore the unending stretches of the Thar Desert.
In Jaipur, our volunteer project is located 20 miles north of Jaipur in a small and vibrant village. Volunteers can explore beautiful villages, visit local bazaars, meet friendly people and discover amazing landscaping of Rajasthan village.
India Volunteer Programs
- Orphanage Project (Phnom Penh, Battambang, Pursat)
- Work in an Orphanage Project (Xi’an)
- Orphanage Project (Delhi, Jaipur)
- Orphanage Project (Kathmandu, Chitwan, Pokhara)
- Orphanage Project (Galle)
- Work with Disadvantaged Children (Surin, Ayuthaya)
- Orphanage Project (Accra, Kumasi)
- Orphanage Project (Nairobi, Mombasa)
- Orphanage Project - South Africa
- Orphanage Project (Moshi, Arusha)
- Orphanage Project (Kampala)
- Disadvantaged Children Project (Cordoba)
- Orphanage / Childcare (San Jose, Puntarenas )
- Orphanage Project(Quito)
- Orphanage Project (Xela)
- Orphanage Project (Manzanillo)
- Orphanage / Childcare Project (Manu,Cusco)