Volunteer In South Africa
Orphanage Project (Cape Town)
- Uplift the lives of children from impoverished backgrounds
- Work with a local organization to provide care and support for the children in the community
- Immerse in the local culture through carefully-screened homestays
- Enjoy the world-renowned wildlife attractions, beautiful natural wonders and the diverse South African cultures in your downtime
Bring joy to the lives of orphaned children in Africa! Volunteer in South Africa, and take part in one of the most rewarding projects in the continent. Numerous children in South Africa have been orphaned because of past conflicts, the HIV/AIDS epidemic and poverty. These orphans and children from extremely poor families need immediate assistance in order to prevent them from ending up on the streets. Many of them land in orphanages where they are provide food, shelter, decent clothes to wear, and are sent schools so they can have a better future. However, the orphanages are always short on funds and manpower. Under these circumstances, volunteers will provide much-needed assistance in the orphanages. By volunteering, you’ll help lessen the burden of the orphanages, and make sure that all the children are well taken care of. You’ll teach them, care of them, provide them with love and make them confident and capable of seeing that they have a bright future. While you’re being an inspiration for the orphans, take the opportunity to go on the best wildlife safaris!
Minimum stay of four weeksVolunteers' Responsibilities
As a volunteer in the Orphanage program, you will be working with children from impoverished backgrounds at an orphanage. You may also work with volunteers or assistants at the center. Depending on your individual interests and skills, and on the needs of the local staff, your daily activities involve, but are not limited to:
- Teaching basic English, Math, Science, Physical Education, or other subjects of interest
- Help in the school garden through: teaching gardening classes, caring for livestock, supervising children and adults in gardening activities, helping with training events
- Providing care, love and attention to children
- Providing daily care to the children such as preparing meals and watching over them
- Help them with their homework
- Participate in playtime activities
- Educating on personal hygiene, and safety rules and precautions
- Developing stimulating new ideas to interest the children to learn
- Organizing and leading extracurricular activities such as games, sports, art, music, dancing, story-telling, drama lessons, etc.
- Assisting the local staff with administrative duties, promoting fundraising activities, and helping to plan events and excursions for the children
The orphanages in South Africa struggle to adequately provide for the children because of the overwhelming amount of children, and the lack of staff and resources. As a volunteer in South Africa, you’ll be helping in lightening the load off the staff by contributing your time working with the children. The small sum the orphanage receives for hosting volunteers also goes a long way towards making them more financially viable. You’ll be placed on the front lines, working to feed, support, and care for the children who are deprived the love and attention of parents. With your encouragement, you’ll be able to restore their hope for a meaningful future. Work in this project is very challenging, but it is definitely most rewarding.Skills and Qualifications
There are no specific qualifications needed to join the Orphanage project. However, your understanding of South African culture and diversity can help improve the experience for you and your patients. Consider enrolling in our five-day Cultural Immersion & Information program. Volunteers should also be enthusiastic, reliable, flexible, patient and strive to be good role models for the children.Project Location
The project is located in the capital city of South Africa, Cape Town. Not only is Cape Town South Africa’s second largest city, it is also the most popular tourist destination in all of Africa. Cape Town is the quintessential melting pot of South Africa; a city alive with creativity, color, sounds, and tastes. When strolling through the city streets of Cape Town, you will fall in love with the natural beauties that surround you, the creative freedom of the locals, and the ambiance of it all. There is a lot to do and see in your free time in and around Cape Town. You can visit many popular sites such as Table Mountain National Park, City Bowl, various popular beaches, Chapman’s Peak Drive, The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront, Two Oceans Aquarium, and much more. You can also see places like Bo Kaap, a historical area inhabited by slaves from the Southeast, also known for colorful buildings, quaint streets, mosques, and the prettiest views of Cape Town. The Castle of Good Hope, the oldest surviving building is another attraction you can visit. There is also the Kistenbosch botanical gardens and Robben Island, two ocean aquariums if you are into glimpsing wildlife and water. You will never get tired of visiting and exploring the beautiful city! If your weekends are free, you can also take trips to the wine countries like Stellenbosch, Paarl, and Frankschoek.