If you love working with children, here’s your chance to make a positive and immediate impact on the lives of orphans.
Volunteer in China in the Orphanage project and give love and attention to the children who need it most. New Hope works with a local orphanage that cares for infants and toddlers.
The orphanage does a lovely job of providing food, education, housing and adequate clothing to the children, but it also faces challenges such as lack of staff. There can be over 400 orphans at one center, and only a handful of staff, so they need all the help they could get. Your role is to lend a helping hand to the staff and lessen their burden. You’ll also, of course, shower the children with attention and love, and brighten up their lives. Be part of the children’s happiness every single day, while enjoying the best of China in your time here!
There can be over 400 orphans at one center, and only a handful of staff, so they need all the help they could get. Your role is to lend a helping hand to the staff and lessen their burden.
You’ll also, of course, shower the children with attention and love, and brighten up their lives. Be part of the children’s happiness every single day, while enjoying the best of China in your time here!
As a volunteer in China in the orphanage program, you will help children build confidence, develop life skills and reinstate their hope in life. Depending on your individual interests and skills, and on the needs of the local staff, your daily activities involve, but are not limited to:
- Teaching English and other subjects to the children
- Helping with the homework
- Organizing and preparing extracurricular activities such as arts, music, sports, talent shows, etc.
- Playing with and caring for the children
- Teaching basic IT skills to the children
- Helping the children with personal hygiene
- Reinforce life skills: teach them to clean their rooms and prepare daily meals
- Teaching children to plant and care for fruits and vegetables in the garden
- Improving the center facilities and building (painting, renovating, etc.)
- Developing fruit and vegetable cultivation
- Improving hygiene and basic medical care
- Strengthening the center organizational capacity and fundraising skills
How You Can Make a Difference
In overcrowded China, child abandonment is becoming a prevalent issue, especially with the country’s “one child” rule and high albeit obsolete value placed on having boys.
Most of the orphanages in China are understaffed, and lack the necessary funds and resources to run their centers well. By volunteering in China, you’ll be helping these orphanages to reach out to more of their children when you provide the love and care the children deserve.
You’ll also be able to experience the joy on the orphan’s faces as you play and learn with the children, making them feel wanted and loved. They’re inquisitive and always bubbly; you can be sure of a fun time at the orphanage!
Skills and Qualifications
No specific skills or qualifications are required to volunteer in the Orphanage Project in China, but your understanding of the Chinese culture and language can help to improve the experience for both you and the children. Volunteers must also enjoy working with children, and have patience and understanding for their plight.
The Orphanage project is located in Xi’an, China. Xi’an is deemed to be one of the most important cultural and political centers in the country. The city sits on the ancient Silk Route, and as a result, there is a fascinating culture amalgamation of outside influences in the city.
Case in point is the Great Mosque of Xi’An, which stands alongside the plethora of pagodas, monasteries and museums. Other attractions include the Terracotta Warrior Army, the Bella Tower of Xi’An, and the extraordinary Qingling Mountains.
The city has many entertainment and shopping amenities, ensuring your time here to never be a monotonous lull. Xi’an is well-connected with the rest of China via roads, trains and flight, making it the perfect base for you to explore the rest of enchanting China.
China Volunteer Programs
- Orphanage Project (Phnom Penh, Battambang, Pursat)
- Work in an Orphanage Project (Xi’an)
- Orphanage Project (Delhi, Jaipur)
- Orphanage Project (Kathmandu, Chitwan, Pokhara)
- Orphanage Project (Galle)
- Work with Disadvantaged Children (Surin, Ayuthaya)
- Orphanage Project (Accra, Kumasi)
- Orphanage Project (Nairobi, Mombasa)
- Orphanage Project - South Africa
- Orphanage Project (Moshi, Arusha)
- Orphanage Project (Kampala)
- Disadvantaged Children Project (Cordoba)
- Orphanage / Childcare (San Jose, Puntarenas )
- Orphanage Project(Quito)
- Orphanage Project (Xela)
- Orphanage Project (Manzanillo)
- Orphanage / Childcare Project (Manu,Cusco)