Be an important part of the lives of the orphans in Nepal! Volunteer in Nepal and bring immense joy to the lives of children.
Nepal is a third world country, with a high percentage of the population living in grinding poverty. Many orphaned children have nowhere to turn to except to the orphanages, as help from the government is practically non-existent.
The family members of the orphaned children are also often unable to raise them as they themselves are poor and struggle to survive daily. The orphanages in Nepal do a great job of raising the children, providing them with education, food, shelter, decent clothes to wear.
However, the orphanages are always short of funds and manpower, and need the help of volunteers to help the children.
Besides lightening the load of the orphanage, you’ll also be teaching the children, taking care of them, providing them with love and making them confident and capable of seeing that they have a bright future.
Uplift the lives of the orphan, and take this golden opportunity to also discover the stunning Himalayas Nepal is famed for!
As a volunteer in the Orphanage program, you will be working with children from impoverished backgrounds at an orphanage. You may also work with volunteers or assistants at the center. Depending on your individual interests and skills, and on the needs of the local staff, your daily activities involve, but are not limited to:
- Teaching basic English, Math, Science, Physical Education, or other subjects of interest
- Help in the school garden through: teaching gardening classes, caring for livestock, supervising children and adults in gardening activities, helping with training events
- Providing care, love and attention to children
- Providing daily care to the children such as preparing meals and watching over them
- Help them with their homework
- Participate in playtime activities
- Educating on personal hygiene, and safety rules and precautions
- Developing stimulating new ideas to interest the children to learn
- Organizing and leading extracurricular activities such as games, sports, art, music, dancing, story-telling, drama lessons, etc.
- Assisting the local staff with administrative duties, promoting fundraising activities, and helping to plan events and excursions for the children
How You Can Make a Difference
If you enjoy working with children or education, this would prove to be a fruitful project for you. The orphanages in Nepal struggle to adequately provide for the children because of the lack of government support, staff and resources.
As a volunteer in Nepal, you'll be helping in lightening the load off the staff by contributing your time working with the children. The small sum the orphanage receives for hosting volunteers also goes a long way towards making them more financially viable.
You'll be placed on the front lines, working to feed, support, and care for the children who are deprived the love and attention of parents. With your encouragement, you'll be able to restore their hope for a meaningful future.
Skills and Qualifications
There are no specific qualifications needed to join the Orphanage project. However, your understanding of the Nepali culture and language can help improve the experience for you and the children.
Consider enrolling in our one-week Language & Cultural Immersion program. Volunteers should also be enthusiastic, reliable, flexible, patient and strive to be good role models for the children.
This project is located in Kathmandu, Chitwan and Pokhara. Nepal is a country of matchless beauty. On the northern borders of Nepal, the majestic mountains of the Himalayas draw visitors in the thousands every year.
As you travel south from there, you’ll pass countless snow-fed rivers, deep ravines and gorges, green valleys and a gorgeous panorama of overlapping hills. Nepal eventually ends on the flat plains that border India. In these varied terrains, countless ethnic groups thrive with their multitude of languages and unique cultures.
Kathmandu: Kathmandu is the capital and the largest city in Nepal. The city is known for pagoda style temples dotted around the city and the half a dozen ancient historical places and UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
During your free time, volunteers can do many things in Kathmandu like visiting Buddhist temples of Swayumbhunath and Bouddha or Pashupatinath, one of the holiest Hindu shrines.
There are also many fine restaurants and bars in Kathmandu and you can also visit mountain top retreat of Nagarkot for a one night sojourn. One a clear day, sunrise from Nagarkot has been described as spectacular and you can also see clear views of Langtang Himalayan range.
Chitwan: Chitwan lies about 4-5 hours drive from Kathmandu. Chitwan is a regional hub that connects the flat region of Nepal with the hilly region.
While the main town itself lies in the flat region, you can see the hills start from the Chitwan. Volunteers to Chitwan can enjoy traditional Nepali hospitality.
During your free time, you can visit Chitwan National Park, one of the best parks to see Bengal Tiger, one-horned Rhino and ride on the back of the elephants. The Park also attracts plenty of birdwatchers.
Pokhara: Pokhara is a beautiful, small valley that is a starting point of many treks to the Annapurna region. From Pokhara itself, you can see breathtaking views of Maccha Puchure (Fish Tail Mountain) and Annapurna range.
The town has many lakes and the lake side area of Lake Phewa has many fine restaurants and hotels. Other activities you can do while in Pokhara are paragliding, canoeing, boating and visits to spectacular mountain tops sights where you can see great views of the Valley
Nepal Volunteer Programs
- Orphanage Project (Phnom Penh, Battambang, Pursat)
- Work in an Orphanage Project (Xi’an)
- Orphanage Project (Delhi, Jaipur)
- Orphanage Project (Kathmandu, Chitwan, Pokhara)
- Orphanage Project (Galle)
- Work with Disadvantaged Children (Surin, Ayuthaya)
- Orphanage Project (Accra, Kumasi)
- Orphanage Project (Nairobi, Mombasa)
- Orphanage Project - South Africa
- Orphanage Project (Moshi, Arusha)
- Orphanage Project (Kampala)
- Disadvantaged Children Project (Cordoba)
- Orphanage / Childcare (San Jose, Puntarenas )
- Orphanage Project(Quito)
- Orphanage Project (Xela)
- Orphanage Project (Manzanillo)
- Orphanage / Childcare Project (Manu,Cusco)