Volunteer In Ghana
Healthcare Project (Accra, Kumasi)
- Share your passion in medical care and help impoverished communities lead healthier lives
- Gain invaluable practical healthcare experience alongside local medical professionals
- Live with a local family and enjoy the laidback day-to-day Ghanaian life
- Immerse in the rich history, culture and abundant natural beauty of Ghana in your downtime
Are you a healthcare professional or student seeking to contribute to the world the best way possible? Volunteer in the Healthcare Project in Ghana! New Hope collaborates with government and non-governmental organizations that facilitate a number of health facilities: hospitals, maternity clinics, children's hospitals, HIV/AIDS wards and alternative-medicine clinics in many cities and small rural villages. This Healthcare project aims to increase the accessibility to basic healthcare for those in the rural areas, decrease the prevalence of treatable diseases and improve the overall health of the public by providing public health projects and promoting health education in the villages. Volunteer in Ghana, and improve the healthcare of the country while basking in the hospitability of the friendly people and colorful culture!Volunteers' Responsibilities
As a volunteer working in the healthcare project in Ghana, your responsibilities will depend on your level of training, certifications and licensing. Volunteers with specialties will be able to help in their specific fields. The clinics may also provide basic trainings for volunteers with less experience. Depending on your skills, experience and interests, and also the needs of the local staff, your daily activities involve, but are not limited to:
- Participating and/or organizing educational workshops aimed at reporting on topics of general relevance such as hygiene, healthy eating habits, vaccination, etc.
- Educating about disease prevention, harmful addictions, eating disorders, etc.
- Promoting health maintenance within families, communities and populations
- Educating on improving the environment of the community
- Promoting clean living, optimizations of resources, implementation of different strategies, changing habits
- Participating in trainings
- Helping with administrative tasks
- Help with physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Provide basic care
- Observe the work of nurses or doctors
- Carry out daily administrative tasks
- Take patient details
- Measure vital signs such as blood pressure, height, weight
- Distribute medicines
- Perform basic first aid
- Help with medical procedures
- Provide assistance in the in-day emergency room
- Partner with local doctors, nurses and therapists
Every human being has the right to basic healthcare. However, deprivation and poverty often get in the way of people having access to even the most basic of healthcare facilities. Due to the limited access, many people still fall prey to diseases that are very easily curable in the Western world. There are efforts underway that aim to improve the health of the people, the women and children especially. Priority is placed on improving the quality of reproductive health services and on preventing and reducing the impact of widespread communicable diseases. By volunteering in Ghana, your efforts will help to bridge the gaps that are preventing the delivery of health services and fostering partnerships that will eventually lead to the health of rural communities throughout Ghana. This is also a fantastic opportunity for you to gain practical and invaluable medical experience in an African country.Skills and Qualifications
Applicants interested to join this program must possess healthcare certification, such as: ID as a medical student, EMT, paramedic certification, nursing, physical therapy, midwifery or physician’s credentials. We do not permit volunteers without medical credentials to participate in this program due to the potential risk. This project also requires a copy of the volunteer’s resume which clearly documents the education and/or professional credentials, prior to arrival. The projects will also require an official copy of the credentials. Depending on your specific placement and host institution, additional application materials may be required.
Your understanding of Ghanaian culture and language can help improve the experience for both you and your patients. Consider enrolling in our one-week Language & Cultural Immersion program.Project Location
The project is based in Accra and Kumasi.
Accra is the capital and the largest city in Ghana. Accra experiences tropical savanna climate with wet and dry seasons. You can find lots of banks, restaurants, and cafes in the city, and during your free time explore National Museum, National Theatre, Independence Square, Jamestown and Makola Market. Kumasi is the traditional home of the Ashanti. The cosmopolitan city is also widely regarded as the cultural hub of Ghana as the vibrancy of Ghana's culture is more apparent here than any part of the country. It is also known as "The Garden City" because of its many beautiful species of flowers and plants.
Volunteers will have a colorful assortment of choices on how to spend their free time away from projects. Ghana offers one of four rainforest tree canopy walks in the world, where you can get a literal bird’s eye view and observe the breathtaking beauty of the rainforest down below. You can also explore Ghana’s beaches. Be it sea turtle sightings, water sports or lounging on the white sands; there is something for everyone. Wildlife is abundant throughout the country and Ghana is home savannah elephants and many other mammals, including seven types of monkeys. The urban experiences deliver cathedrals, museums, theaters, restaurants and more.
Ghana Volunteer Programs
- Health/Medical (Phnom Pehn, Pursat)
- Healthcare Project (Delhi)
- Healthcare Project (Kathmandu, Chitwan)
- Medical Volunteer project(Galle)
- Healthcare Project (Surin)
- Healthcare Project (Accra, Kumasi)
- Healthcare Project (Nairobi, Mombasa, Maasai)
- Healthcare Project - South Africa
- Healthcare Project (Moshi, Arusha)
- Healthcare Project (Kampala)
- Healthcare Project (Cordoba)
- Health (San Jose, Puntarenas, Guanacaste)
- Healthcare Project (Xela)
- Health Project (Cusco)