Volunteer In Thailand
Work with Disadvantaged Children (Surin, Ayuthaya)
- Show care, concern and guidance to children from destitute backgrounds
- Work with local childcare professionals to create a safe, fun and enriching environment for the children
- Immerse in the Thai way of life through safe and carefully-screened homestays
- Practice the beautiful Thai language while enjoying the famous Thai cuisine, exciting cityscape, and beautiful natural wonders in your downtime
Would you like to work with children and have one of the most gratifying experiences in your life? Volunteer in Thailand and give much care and support to children from disadvantaged families! Surin is one of the poorest areas in Thailand, with a low average income. Parents who have to get to work are unable to take care of their children in the day, or have enough money to pay for proper nurseries and childcare centers. Various groups such as the local government, communities and temples initiated Child Development Centers which aim to provide care and love to the disadvantaged children. Located around Thai cities and factory areas, the centers provide much-needed shelter for the children of parents who have to go to work in the day. The centers are often understaffed and resource-poor, and hence require much help from volunteers. This is your opportunity to work with children from low-income families and motivate them to work towards a bigger future. While helping to cast a better future in the lives of the children, practice Thai and explore the many pristine islands with white sandy beaches and azure blue waters in your free time!Volunteers' Responsibilities
As a volunteer in the Work with Disadvantaged Children Project, you will be working with local daycare centers that provide care to impoverished children. Depending on the each individual skill and interest, and the needs of the local teachers and staff, your daily activities may include:
- Teaching basic English, Math, Science, Health, and other subjects
- Provide care, love and attention to children
- Providing daily care to the children such as preparing meals and watching over them
- Educating on personal hygiene, and safety rules and precautions
- Teaching essential life skills to the children such as gardening, painting, building, sewing, business skills, etc.
- Developing stimulating new ideas to interest the children to learn
- Organizing and leading extracurricular activities such as games, sports, art, music, dancing, story-telling, drama lessons, etc.
- Assisting the local staff with administrative duties, promoting fundraising activities, and helping to plan events and excursions for the children
- Assisting underprivileged families
The project participates with schools, orphanages and other centers to help the children. Volunteer in Thailand, and give much love, care, attention and education to children from disadvantaged backgrounds, who often lack the support and guidance to grow up confident and healthy. Through your support – by educating, caring for, and playing with them – you’ll ensure these children from desperately poor families are able to have a conducive and encouraging environment to learn and grow in. The centers aren’t well funded and lack trained manpower to care for the children. Hence, help from the volunteers will go a long way towards the healthy development of the children. Plus, the small donation the center receives for hosting volunteers will also allow them to be financially stronger.Skills and Qualifications
There are no specific qualifications needed to volunteer in this program in Thailand. However, volunteers are expected to be flexible and patient, as well as have much passion and love for children. Volunteers must also respect the rules and regulations of the center, be resourceful, and must not hesitate to become involved in different activities.Project Location
This project is located in Surin and Ayuthaya.
Surin is located in the northeast region of Thailand about 450 kms from Bangkok and has a population of about 100,000. The town is known for its elephant festivals, silk, jasmine rice, ruins, temples and Buddhist shrines. Volunteers can enjoy the City Pillar Shrine, Wat Burapharam, Surin National Museum, art galleries, Phanom Sawai Forest Park, Khmer ruins, Ban Buthom Basketry Village, handicraft markets, wildlife sanctuaries, etc. Surin is also known for its incredibly friendly people.
Ayutthaya was once the capital city of Thailand and is 76 kms from Bangkok. It was also one of the largest cities in Asia, before it was razed to ground by invading Burmese army. Today, Ayutthaya is a modern city that contains many fascinating relics and monuments from medieval times. The city is known for its magnificent ruins, temples and palaces. Volunteers can get lost wondering through wats and museums and learn about the historical city, now a UNESSCO World Heritage City. In free time and on weekends, volunteers can take a 20 minute bus ride into Bangkok and get lost in its vibrant surroundings.
During the project, volunteers will have the weekend to travel around Thailand and enjoy the Thai culture and landscape. The southern part of Thailand is known for its pristine beaches and is very popular with tourists. The northern areas include forests and hills and have many popular trekking and hiking destinations. The urban centers of Chiang Mai and Bangkok are famous for night life, good restaurants and also have many other attractions like temples, markets and museums.